Funny thing about tragedy, it often makes the creative mind wake up. Suddenly your thoughts are not the same as they were yesterday. Your brain comes alive with activity. It recalls memories, heightens imagination, and in a flash you view life through different eyes. Your life is in chaos and your mind cries out to restore peace and harmony. It never rests.
|The garden I created for my son, Garrett's Garden|
|I painted this on a day when memories flooded|
my emotions. It brought me peace
Recently on Hay House Radio, I heard Dr. Christiane Northrup (internationally known for her empowering stance on women's health and wellness) say that creativity is a powerfully important therapeutic tool. It's as important to your well being as exercise and a healthy diet.
- Art is a very powerful way in which to process memories, challenges, and feelings. It gives you an opportunity to work with senses such as touch, sight, and feeling. Try an art class where you feel no pressure to be perfect.
- Go to a local ceramics studio where you can learn to work with clay or paint. Working with your hands and painting allows you to explore shapes and colors.
- Photography brings instant pleasure. With the ease of digital cameras and cell phones today, there are so many options to create beautiful works of art. Look into programs like iPhoto and Instagram for many creative ways to publish and print.
- Music is another outlet for creative expression. Music tunes the heartstrings and opens up sensory emotions to feeling life in a new way. Sing, if you like to sing. Dance if you like to dance. Play the piano, or learn a new instrument. You will be surprised how your brain is open to music because it soothes the soul.
- Create Playlists of music in iTunes. Music offers a way to instantly transform mood and can change your state of being. Create Playlists for different feelings. I have lists that make me happy, a list for my tears, a list for dancing, a list for reflecting, and a list to help me power up to face the day.
- Writing is a powerful tool of expression and healing. Start a blog about your journey or a subject that inspires you. The easiest way to do this is to sign up on www.Blogger.com through Google. Write poetry of your feelings.
- Begin the book you've always wanted to write. Now is the time to tell your story. My book, How to Survive the Worst that can Happen, is my tribute to healing after the loss of my beautiful son. In his death, I gave him life and legacy by using it to help others heal.
Share your stories of creativity with me. I would love it.
Visit my website and sign in to
download my FREE ebook
Stepping Stones to a Resilient Life
Visit my website and sign in to download my FREE ebook, Stepping Stones to a Resilient Life